Saturday, December 20, 2008

400 euros for five square meters.

The apartment is in Spain's capital of luck. Anne must also Piezunka at their Madrid-term compromises. After all, the Berlin politics student access to the balcony - some Erasmus colleagues would already have a window looking.
  "The morning-after pill must be as early as possible to take ..." Such brochures I was last in the ninth grade do. Seven years later, it is again. Together with nearly 1,000 Erasmus students I sit at the University of Madrid and get pills for the second time information - in my Erasmus package. A little horrified, which image the Spaniards from their students have, I leave the info event and my first visit faculty.

"Where is because the whole smoke?" Asks Navy from Strasbourg, as we enter the building. It does not last long, and we know: Spaniard have prejudices against little Erasmus students - they know their own students. In the Faculty of Humanities is not only wildly philosophy, the Spanish students smoke, smoke pot and drink also like to institute the hallway.
At the humanities believes no more
"Yes, yes, the Faculty of Humanities. The long, we have abandoned," says Beatriz few days later, our Spanish teacher. They will help us in the coming months alongside Subjunctive and indirect speech some Spanish mitgeben wisdom, which is soon clearly.
The only course of the Lithuanian concludes our teacher immediately into the heart. "I was never in Lithuania, but somehow I was in love with the country," says Beatriz in the class. The Germans regarded them with suspicion on the other hand. You can not understand why you are not the same place to study wishing to where you even born.
While the Italian Erasmus students already understand all the stories and mitlachen, Karina from Hungary looks a little perplexed. Only when they imagine, will they really awake: "I'm Karina and need urgent assistance in the search room," she explains in liquid Spanish. A mitleidiges "Oooh" fills the room - and from all sides, they offer their help.
Two hours Directions to the university, but still a window
The search is room in Madrid, the allerschwierigste. Some Erasmus students say after two months searching, that become pregnant despite pill in Madrid easier.

Many German students wanted to be sure and have already from home rented a room. An error, how about when Franziska out. Although she lives in Madrid, but not in the city, but in the Communidad, the Madrid metropolitan area - an area four times the size of the Saarland. The road to the university takes nearly two hours. Franziskas Ausgehfreudigkeit has meanwhile clearly waned.
At least it has a window and the Internet, two things that for many Erasmus students in and around the Spanish capital are luxury. Karina and Co are willing to pay 450 euros, while only a small ray of light in its four square meter room and the landlady reaches them not bids, before midnight at his home.
Search darned room
With my landlady and flatmate, I have great luck: Alicia, 36, is genuine Spaniard and helps me with my integration tests. While I am all the other Erasmus students in the first week about envy that I am having a "real" Spaniard live, I sometimes wished that they more often with me Schwyzer would speak German. Alicias parents because they have brought up bilingually.

At that time, she lived in Switzerland. And there it was Alicia unfortunately so well liked that they end of the month back wants. During my first weeks in Madrid experience, is Alicia busy packing boxes and children's toys by daughter Lola at eBay auction.
I did nothing else, as soon after my arrival at room search to go. Here, it is customary that the room-seekers always show up. So I formulated the most error-free, nice texts and waited for calls.
Balcony with BBQ: The winter may come
Already ten minutes later it went off. I desperately kramte after my subway map and tried to find a station, which sounds so similar as to what I just heard on the phone.
Once I know where I could live, is the second crucial question: with whom? In the first two days I was still choosy and refused me, with people over 60 or other Erasmus students to pull together. Then my priorities changed, and I finally said to Victoria.

Victoria is a cook at my university. It is not yet 60, but not far away. Also on the French Erasmus students across see me as well to compensate for a Spanish student will live there.
The decisive advantage, however, is the central location and access to the balcony. Gave me the five-square-meter room, which costs 400 euros. Even though I am a cold winter semester in Madrid are expected, I will be the balcony as often as possible to use, I firmly before me. And it was to him proud in my mails to the homeland to mention.
Or I use the grill, which stands on the balcony - for example, my newly received brochures with advice for the morning-after pill in flames can be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment